Salem is a town in eastern Washington County, New York. It is part of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town population was 2,702 at the 2000 census. The town of Salem contains a village also named Salem.
Salem was first settled in 1761 by Joshua Conkey and James Turner who as soldiers in the French and Indian War, passed through the territory. In 1764, Alexander and James Turner acquired a patent which was soon divided up between the New Englanders from Pelham Mass. and a group of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians led by Dr Thomas Clark from Ballybay, County Monaghan, Ireland.
The Charlotte County and White Creek militia used Salem as its base in 1776.
The 123rd Volunteer Regiment was recruited from Salem during the Civil War.
The Alexander McNish House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
People of note in the town of Salem