|Alt names||St. Merryn||source: Getty Vocabulary Program|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Wadebridge Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1936|
|Bodmin Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1936-2007|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St. Merryn (Cornish: S. Meryn) is a civil parish and village in north Cornwall, England. It is about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south of the fishing port of Padstow and 11 miles (18 km) northeast of the coastal resort of Newquay.
The 3,798-acre parish of St Merryn is bounded by a millstream to the south that separates it from the St. Ervan and St. Eval parishes; more than 5.5 miles (8.9 km) of coastline along the Atlantic Ocean; and the Padstow parish and Lyn stream.
St. Merryn was part of the St. Columb Major Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and located in Wadebridge Rural District from 1934 until 1968. In 1968 Wadebridge Rural District was expanded and became Wadebridge and Padstow Rural District from 1968 until 1974.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England | Wadebridge Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Merryn, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England | Bodmin Registration District, Cornwall, England