Place:Saint Lukes Church Cemetery, Dutchess, New York, United States

NameSaint Lukes Church Cemetery
Alt namesSaint Luke's Episcopal Church and cemetery
Saint Luke's Churchyard
Coordinates41.4977°N 73.9638°W
Located inDutchess, New York, United States     (1833 - )
Also located inBeacon, Dutchess, New York, United States    
Matteawan, Dutchess, New York, United States    


"St. Anna's Church (Protestant Episcopal) of Matteawan, organized in 1833, erected a building in the center of the village, west of the N. D. & C. railroad station, and also opened a small cemetery in the valley east of the railroad. The Presbyterian Church of Matteawan (also organized in 1833) soon after opened a burial ground adjoining St. Anna's. In 1868 twelve acres of land, immediately south and west of these two cemeteries, were given to St. Anna's. The church in the village was then razed, the present church built on the new site and the name of the parish changed to St. Luke's. The division fence has been taken down between St. Luke's property and the Presbyterian lot and the whole forms an exceptionally beautiful spot, the care of which is proportionally shared in by the two churches." (Poucher (1924), p 97-110)