Rustavi is a city in the southeast of Georgia, in the province of Kvemo Kartli, situated southeast of the capital Tbilisi. It stands on the Mtkvari River at . It has a population of 116,384 (2002 census) and is dominated by the Rustavi Metallurgical Plant.
The name of "Rustavi" is a Persian word and means "Rural District". This shows the long term presence of Persians in this region. Also the name of the country "Georgia" is believed to be taken from Persian word "gorg" which means (the land of) wolves. After "Gulistan Treaty" in 1813 AD, Persians lost their control over Georgia.
The history of Rustavi has two phases: an early history from ancient times until the city was destroyed in the 13th century, and modern history from the Soviet era to the present.