Rumson is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States and is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. As of the 2010 census, the borough's population was 7,122, reflecting a decline of 15 (-0.2%) from 7,137 in 2000, which had in turn increased by 436 (+6.5%) from 6,701 in 1990.
Legend has it that the borough's name is derived from early settlers who bought the land from the Native Americans in exchange for some rum. But as far back as 1663, long before the area was officially named Rumson, Native Americans called it "Navarumsunk". Over the years it has been shortened to "Rumson". Other names Rumson has been known by include Black Point, Port Washington, and Oceanic.
Rumson was purchased by English settlers in pieces. The first purchase is dated January 25, 1665, and it included parts of Middletown. The rest of the area was purchased later that year.
Rumson is known for its many sprawling turn-of-the-century estates located along the shores of the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers and along historic Rumson Road, which serves as one of Rumson's main thoroughfares. Rumson's many old estates were built as summer homes for wealthy New York bankers and industrialists. The oldest of Rumson's homes was the Tredwell House, named after a family that summered here for almost 100 years. The oldest part of the house being from 1670 once occupied ; it was the second oldest building in Monmouth County as of June 2006, when it was destroyed by fire.
In the 19th century Rumson's summer residents enjoyed many activities, such as swimming and boating in the adjacent Navesink River and the Atlantic Ocean, or taking a wagon ride. In winter, residents used the river for ice boating.