Place:Rueil-Malmaison, Paris, France

Watchers


NameRueil-Malmaison
TypeCommune
Located inParis, France


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Rueil-Malmaison is a commune in the western suburbs of Paris, in the Hauts-de-Seine department of France. It is located from the centre of Paris.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Rueil is famous for the Château de Malmaison where Napoleon and his first wife Joséphine de Beauharnais lived. Upon her death in 1814, she was buried at the nearby Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul church, which stands at the centre of the city.

The Rueil barracks of the Swiss Guard were constructed in 1756 under Louis XV by the architect Axel Guillaumot, and have been classified Monument historique since 1973. The Guard was formed by Louis XIII in 1616 and massacred at the Tuileries on 10 August 1792 during the French Revolution.

During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, Rueil was located on the front line.

At the end of the 19th century, Impressionist painters like Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Édouard Manet and Claude Monet came to paint the Seine River which crosses the town.

Rueil is (despite the title) the principal location of the novel Loin de Rueil by the French novelist Raymond Queneau.

The town is twinned with Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, in the United Kingdom.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Rueil-Malmaison. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.