|Alt names||Rouchester||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Vindobala||source: Perseus Digital Library (2000) based on Princeton, accessed 7 March 2001|
|Vindovala||source: Athena, Romano-British Sites [online] (2000)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Ovingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rudchester from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RUDCHESTER, or Rouchester, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the Roman wall, 8½ miles W N W of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 644. Population: 58. Houses: 11. The Roman station Vindobala was here; is still slightly traceable; and has furnished four altars, a Hercules, bricks, coins, and other relics. A mediæval stronghold also was here, and became the nucleus of a modern farm-house."
Rudchester was originally a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was absorbed into the civil parish of Heddon on the Wall.
Wikipedia describes the Roman settlement of Vindobala, but only mentions Rudchester as being the modern location of Vindobala.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Rudchester, Northumberland, England | Ovingham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, England