- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rudchester from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RUDCHESTER, or Rouchester, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the Roman wall, 8½ miles W N W of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 644. Population: 58. Houses: 11. The Roman station Vindobala was here; is still slightly traceable; and has furnished four altars, a Hercules, bricks, coins, and other relics. A mediæval stronghold also was here, and became the nucleus of a modern farm-house."
Rudchester was originally a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was absorbed into the civil parish of Heddon on the Wall.
Wikipedia describes the Roman settlement of Vindobala, but only mentions Rudchester as being the modern location of Vindobala.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.