|Located in||Cornwall, England ( - 1934)|
|Also located in||Grade-Ruan, Cornwall, England (1934 - )|
|See also||Kerrier Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Helston Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Helston Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1936|
|Kerrier Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1936-2007|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- The following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Grade–Ruan is a civil parish on the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall, England, approximately ten miles (16 km) south of Falmouth.
It is a rural parish bounded to the east by St Keverne parish and by the sea; to the west by Mullion and Cury parishes; and to the south by Landewednack parish.
Grade–Ruan civil parish encompasses part of Goonhilly Downs and the major settlements are Ruan-Minor, St Ruan or Ruan-Major and Cadgwith. The parish was formed in 1934 because falling population necessitated merging the ecclesiastical parishes of Grade, Ruan-Major and Ruan-Minor. All three were in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. Formerly, Cadgwith was partly in Grade parish and partly in Ruan Minor parish.
The population of Grade–Ruan has increased steadily; it was 677 in 1961, 835 in 1981 and 1070 in 2001.
The civil parish of Grade was part of the Helston Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and, as part of Grade-Ruan, located in Kerrier Rural District from 1934 until 1974.
Above: Map from Wikimedia Commons produced by Andy F
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Kerrier Hundred, Cornwall, England | Helston Rural, Cornwall, England | Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England | Helston Registration District, Cornwall, England | Kerrier Registration District, Cornwall, England | Ruan-Major, Cornwall, England