|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Titchfield Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Fareham Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Lee on the Solent, Hampshire, England||parish into which a portion was transferred in 1930|
|Alverstoke, Hampshire, England||parish into which the remainder was transferred in 1932|
|Gosport District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Rowner is now a part of Gosport, Hampshire. It was reduced in size in 1930 when a portion was transferred to the newly created Lee on the Solent parish, and was abolished as a civil parish altogether in 1932 when the remainder was absorbed into Alverstoke parish.
As the start of the 20th century there was no actual village of Rowner, only a number of old cottages scattered over a long narrow strip of land, the southern and eastern portions of which had been bought by the War Office for the land defences of Portsmouth.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Rowner.
There is also information on Rowner under the History section of Wikipedia on Gosport.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Rowner.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Rowner, Hampshire, England | Titchfield Hundred, Hampshire, England | Fareham Rural, Hampshire, England | Lee on the Solent, Hampshire, England | Alverstoke, Hampshire, England | Gosport District, Hampshire, England