|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Hartburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Fairnley, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Rothley in 1955|
|Hartington, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Rothley in 1955|
|Hartington Hall, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Rothley in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rothley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROTHLEY, a township in Hartburn parish, Northumberland; on the river Font, 11 miles W N W of Morpeth. Acres: 2,720. Population: 174. Houses: 30. [Rothley] Crags are a fine range of millstone grit rocks; and are surmounted, at an elevation of 843 feet above sea-level, with a picturesque tower built, in the last century, by Sir W. Blackett. A hill to the N also is surmounted by an imitation ruin of a fort, and overhangs a lake. A quondam ancient tower at [Rothley] belonged to the abbot of Newminster."
Rothley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, and remains a civil parish. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the neighbouring parishes of Fairnley, Hartington and Hartington Hall were abolished and their area absorbed into Rothley. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Rothley became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Rothley, Northumberland, England | Hartburn, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England