|Alt names||Redebi||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 162|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Leicestershire, England ( - 1936)|
|See also||East Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was included|
|Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1935|
|Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936|
|Melton District, Leicestershire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rotherby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROTHERBY, a parish in Melton-Mowbray [registration] district, Leicester; on the river Wreak, and on the Syston and Peterborough railway, ½ a mile N E of Brooksby [railway] station, and 5¼ W S W of Melton-Mowbray. Post-town: Frisby, under Leicester. Acres: 766. Real property: £1, 671. Population: 134. Houses: 27. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to L. Wilson, Esq. The Manor-House is the residence of T. Johnson, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hoby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is Norman, and has a tower and spire. There are a freeschool, and charities £15."
Rotherby was an ancient or ecclesiastical parish prior to 1866 when it became a civil parish. Between 1894 and 1936 it was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District. In 1936 it was absorbed into the newly created parish of Hoby with Rotherby situated to the northwest of Melton Mowbray.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.
Categories: Leicestershire, England | Rotherby, Leicestershire, England | East Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, England | Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England | Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire, England | Melton District, Leicestershire, England