|Name||Ross and Cromarty|
|Alt names||Ros agus Cromba||source: Wikipedia|
|Ross & Cromarty|
|Ross-shire||source: before 1889|
|Located in||Scotland (1889 - 1975)|
|Also located in||Highland Region, Scotland (1975 - 1996)|
|Highland (council area), Scotland (1996 - )|
|Western Isles, Scotland (1975 - 1996)|
|Outer Hebrides, Scotland (1996 - )|
|See also||Ross-shire, Scotland||county making up Ross and Cromarty in 1889|
|Cromartyshire, Scotland||county making up Ross and Cromarty in 1889|
|Highland Region, Scotland||1975-1996 for all of Ross and Cromarty except the most westerly islands|
|Highland (council area), Scotland||1996 onward for all of Ross and Cromarty except the most westerly islands|
|Western Isles, Scotland||1975-1996 for the island parts of Ross and Cromarty|
|Outer Hebrides, Scotland||1996 onward for the island parts of Ross and Cromarty|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ross and Cromarty (Ros agus Cromba in Gaelic) is a variously defined area in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. There is a registration county and a lieutenancy area in current use, the latter of which is 8,019 square kilometres in extent. Historically there has been a constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (1832 to 1983), a local government county (1890 to 1975), a district of the Highland local government region (1975 to 1996) and a management area of the Highland Council (1996 to 2007). The local government county is now divided between two local government areas: the Highland area and Na h-Eileanan Siar (the Western Isles).
The region has some of the most spectacular landscapes of mountains and hills and river valleys ("glens") in between. The county is quite often divided into the unofficial areas of Easter Ross and Wester Ross. The population is of very low density and is mainly engaged in fishing and tourism. Crofting is still widespread.
Ross-shire and Cromartyshire were separate counties prior to 1890. Cromarty is basically a peninsula, called the Black Isle, which lies between the Cromarty and Moray Firths, but also includes a number of detached sections which are spotted around northeastern Ross-shire.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
The local government county of Ross and Cromarty was created in 1890 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889, with boundaries similar to, but not exactly the same as, the boundaries of the parliamentary constituency (see above). The county continued with largely unchanged boundaries until its abolition in 1975. It is hard to find a pair of maps pre-1890 and post-1890 to figure out how the detached parts of Cromartyshire were absorbed into the parishes already existing in Ross-shire. Therefore, if studying the parishes of Lochbroom, Nigg, Contin and Kincardine, as well as the town of Cromarty itself, one ought to check data for Cromarty-shire in the period before 1890. There is also a detached portion of the county of Nairnshire south of the parish of Urquhart and Logie-Wester.
When the county was abolished in 1975, the mainland part became part of the new Highland Region, and the Isle of Lewis became part of the Western Isles islands area.
The Highland Region
In 1975 the mainland part of the former county was effectively divided between three districts of the Highland region. Most of the former county became the new district of Ross and Cromarty. The Lochalsh area joined the Skye and Lochalsh district and the Kincardine area joined the Sutherland district. The district [sic] was abolished in 1996.
The wards in the former district of Ross and Cromarty formed the management area of Ross and Cromarty from 1996 to 1999, and again from 1999 to 2007. The name was not used for a management area after 2007.
The parishes on the Isle of Lewis and its associated islands were:
Notes for the Highland Council Area and the Western Isles Council Area
The local archives are held by The Highland Archive Service which is based in Inverness with branches in Stornoway, Fort William and Caithness. It is "responsible for locating, preserving and making accessible archives relating to all aspects of the history of the geographical area of the Highlands."
Family history societies and historical associations covering the Highland Council Area and the Western Isles Council Area are:
These associations publish their aims on their websites as well as a list of publications. In many cases the publications are also available through the Scottish Genealogy Society (see below).
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
- See the publications lists of the above Family History Societies.
- The FreeCen Project--Scotland has a searchable (not browsable) transcription for each of the counties in the area. Nairnshire and Caithness have the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 complete. Inverness-shire and Ross and Cromarty have 1841 complete with some work on 1851 and Sutherland has not completed 1841.
Transcriptions of Gravestone Inscriptions
- The Scottish Genealogy Society provides a series of monumental inscriptions either in print in booklet form or on CD for each of the counties in the area (Caithness, Inverness-shire, Nairnshire, Ross and Cromarty, and Sutherland). Some of the booklets cover only one graveyard, others cover a group. Prices vary. In many cases the coverage is of pre-1855 stones only--this is because gravestone inscriptions are often used by family historians as death registration equivalents in the era of the Old Parish Registers (when deaths were not universally recorded).
- Sutherland cemeteries are covered in Pre-1855 tombstone inscriptions in Sutherland burial grounds by A S Cowper & I Ross, published at Edinburgh in 1989 by the Scottish Genealogy Society.
- There are no specific notes for gravestone transcriptions for either Inverness-shire or Nairnshire in GENUKI. However, the Scottish Genealogy Society lists booklets for both counties.
Sources for Emigration Records
- Hebrides People have a database containing lists of people who emigrated to North America from a number of parishes in the Western Isles.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- GENUKI has articles on each of the counties. These may not appear up-to-date but a query to the organizer made in August 2014 was answered within a few hours and followed up by an amendment to the article.
- The Gazetteer for Scotland provides an article on each of the old counties of Scotland. The tabs on the right provide more information, plus a map of the county within its surrounding area, with parishes highlighted and linked to more information. Each parish within the county also has a set of webpages which follow the same design.
- The FamilySearch Wiki article on Scotland provides information on research in Scotland in general and links to pages for the individual counties and from there to some individual parishes.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.