Benson is a village and civil parish in the South Oxfordshire District of Oxfordshire, England. At the 2001 UK census it had a population of 4,464. The village is about 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) north of Wallingford at the foot of the Chiltern Hills at the confluence of a chalk stream (Ewelme Brook) and the River Thames, next to Benson Lock. Being on the northern (or eastern) bank of the Thames, Benson has always been in Oxfordshire, unlike nearby Wallingford and Abingdon, which were part of Berkshire until the 1974 boundary changes.
The village is on river silts and gravel, just above the surrounding marshy land that gives nearby settlements of Preston Crowmarsh, Crowmarsh Gifford, and Rokemarsh their names. The fertile land which surrounds the village meant that farming was the main source of employment until the 20th century.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Benson from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Preston Crowmarsh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Roke or Rokemarsh
Since 1974 Roke or Rokemarsh is no longer in Benson parish, but in Berrick Salome.
NOTE:Fifield in Benson is so-named because there is a civil parish named Fifield in the western part of Oxfordshire.