Place:Rodmarton, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameRodmarton
Alt namesRedmertonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 114
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.683°N 2.083°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoLongtree (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Rodmarton is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north-east of Tetbury and 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Cirencester, and is close to Gloucestershire's border with Wiltshire.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rodmarton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RODMARTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile N W of the Fosse way at the boundary with Wilts, 3 W of Tetbury-Road [railway] station, and 4¾ N E of Tetbury; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement, probably anadvanced post from Cirencester. A tesselated pavement and Roman coins were found at it in 1636. The parishincludes the tything of Calkerton, and comprises 4,012 acres. Post-town, Cirencester. Real property: £4,022. Population: 401. Houses: 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. The manor-house, a quadrangular edifice of the 15th century, is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £650. Patron: the Rev. S. Lysons. The church is early English, was restored in 1862, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £19. An old chapel in the hamlet of Tarlton, 1½ mile E, is at the manor-house there, and has been partially restored. S. and D. Lysons, authors of " Magna Britannia, " were natives."

Registration Districts

Cirencester (1837 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Rodmarton, available online on the website British History Online.
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Rodmarton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.