Place:Roddam, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.443°N 1.964°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoIlderton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Glendale Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Reaveley, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Roseden, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Wooperton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Roddam from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: RODDAM, a township in Ilderton parish, Northumberland; 5¼ miles S S E of Wooler. Acres: 1,218. Population: 118. Houses: 24. The manor was given to Pulleine by King Athelstan; passed by descent to the Roddams; and, with [Roddam] House, belongs now to W. Roddam, Esq. The mansion was rebuilt by Admiral Roddam, who died in 1808. A mound to the S of it is called Athelstan's Mount; and, on being opened not many years ago, was found to contain some urns and a number of large human bones.

Roddam was a township in the ancient parish of Ilderton. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the parishes of Reaveley, Roseden and Wooperton. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Roddam became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.