- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Roade straddles the busy Northampton to Milton Keynes A508 road, 5 miles (8 km) south of Northampton and 12 miles (19 km) north of Milton Keynes. The road bisects the village into east, the older part, and west, which is mostly 20th-century housing.
The 2001 UK census showed 2,254 people living in the parish in 962 dwellings. In 2009, the population was estimated to be 2,304.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Roade from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROADE, a village and a parish in Hardingstone [registration] district, Northamptonshire. The village stands near the North-Western railway, 1½ mile E of the Grand Junction Canal, and 5½ S of Northampton; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,600 acres. Real property: £2,840. Population: 664. Houses: 172. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to St. James' abbey; was given, at the dissolution, to R. Fermor, Esq.; passed, in the time of James II., to S. Hoe, Esq.; and belongs now to the Duke of Grafton. The manor-house is now a farm-house, called the Hyde. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £103. Patrons: the Duke of Grafton and the Rector of Ashton. The church is mainly Norman, with a tower; and includes an aisle of 1850. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a churchschool, four alms-houses, and charities £26."
These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.