Riverton is a borough located in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough had a total population of 2,779, reflecting an increase of 20 (+0.7%) from the 2,759 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 16 (-0.6%) from the 2,775 counted in the 1990 Census.
Riverton was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on December 18, 1893, from portions of Cinnaminson Township, based on the results of a referendum held six days earlier. Portions of the borough were taken to form Palmyra Township on April 19, 1894. It is a dry town, where alcohol cannot be sold.
The borough is located on the Delaware River and is pedestrian-friendly, with sidewalks, gas lamps, and Victorian architecture. Riverton is home to the Riverton Yacht Club, one of the oldest and still active yacht clubs in the country. Many residents' sailboats make their home at this landmark.
Riverton was established in 1851, along the Delaware River, having been laid out by Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan. According to architectural historian Henry Russell Hitchcock, Riverton was the first totally planned residential subdivision in America.
In 1916, Japanese beetles, now a widespread insect pest in the United States, were first discovered in a nursery near Riverton.