Place:Ritton Whitehouse, Northumberland, England

NameRitton Whitehouse
Alt namesRitton White Housesource: alternate spelling
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.244°N 1.915°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoNetherwitton, Northumberland, Englandchapelry in which Ritton Whitehouse was a township
Hartburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which Netherwitton was a chapelry
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Nunnykirk, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ritton Coltpark from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RITTON-COLTPARK and RITTON-WHITE-HOUSE, two townships in Nether Witton parish, Northumberland; 5½ miles S of Rothbury. Acres: 1,029 and 636. Population: 69 and 22. Houses: 13 and 4."

Ritton Whitehouse was a township in the chapelry of Netherwitton which was originally in Hartburn ancient parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Nunnykirk.

Taken together the two townships were often known as "Ritton".

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.