Ripley is a town on Lake Erie in the westernmost part of Chautauqua County, New York, United States. The population was 2,415 at the 2010 census. The town was named after Eleazer Wheelock Ripley, a general in the War of 1812. There are no incorporated villages in the town, but there is one census-designated place: the hamlet of Ripley. The town is perhaps best known as being the western end of the New York State Thruway.
Ripley was first settled around 1804 in the vicinity of Ripley village. The town was established in 1817 from part of the town of Portland.
Much of the recent economy of the town is based on growing fruit, especially Concord grapes.
Notable past residents