Rimington is a rural village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been in the Ribble Valley District of Lancashire. It is east of Clitheroe and south of the A59 road. The village consists of the hamlets of Howgill (re-directed here), Martin Top, Newby and Stopper Lane.
Historically, Rimington was in the ecclesiastical parish of Gisburn in Staincliffe Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Rimington was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Ribble Valley District of Lancashire.