- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Riding from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RIDING, a township in Bywell St. Andrew parish, Northumberland; on Watling Street, the river Tyne, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, at Riding Mill [railway] station, 5½ miles E S E of Hexham. It has a bridge over the Tyne, and a post-office, of the name of Riding-Mill, Northumberland. Acres: 1,007. Population: 142. Houses: 21. The bridge was erected in 1822. Riding House is a chief residence."
Riding was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Andrew. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was merged with the neighbouring civil parish of Broomhaugh to become the new civil parish of Broomhaugh and Riding. It contains the village of Riding Mill.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.