- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Rickling was a civil parish in Saffron Walden Rural District in Essex, England from 1894 until 1946 when it merged with the neighbouring civil parish of Quendon. Since 1974 the joint parish has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rickling from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RICKLING, a parish in Saffron-Walden [registration] district, Essex; near the river Stort and near the London and Cambridge railway, 2½ miles S W of Newport [railway] station, and 6¾ N by E of Bishop-Stortford. Post-town, Newport, under Bishop-Stortford. Acres: 1,331. Real property: £2, 260. Population: 502. Houses: 103. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Col. Inglis. [Rickling] Hall is an ancient house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £168. Patron: the Bishop of Rochester. The church is good. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £5."