The town was first settled around 1764 near the community of Warnerville.
The "Battle of Cobleskill" during the American Revolution actually occurred in Richmondville.
In 1881, the community of Richmondville set itself off from the town by incorporating as a village.
Richmondville was for many years the location of the Central School for surrounding communities. The school built in 1932 was originally called Richmondville Central School. Educating children from K-12. The school now serves as an elementary school and was renamed the  JOSEPH B.RADEZ Elementary School after its long-time school principal. The school is part of the Cobleskill-Richmondville Central School District.