Place:Rice Cemetery, Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana, United States

Watchers
NameRice Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates41.6825°N 85.9492°W
Located inElkhart, Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Also located inElkhart, Indiana, United States    

Background

(Source: Rice Cemetery website)

Rice Cemetery is the largest city cemetery in the city of Elkhart. As of December 31, 2000, there have been over 25,000 burials in the cemetery. Rice Cemetery is located at 400 James St. in Elkhart, Indiana. The property of which it is located on was deeded to the city of Elkhart on September 5, 1908 by James Addison Rice. As an only child of John Rice, he inherited the family farm consisting of approximately 90 acres from his father. His father had previously deeded land for Grace Lawn Cemetery in 1862.

The first burials in Rice Cemetery took place in 1913. Versa (Bessie) Koebernik was the first burial recorded on September 4, 1913. On the 11th of September, Jennie Ransier was buried. Obadiah Bore was buried December 31. There were four burials in 1914 and four burials in 1915.

Resources

  1. FindAGrave.com
  2. Rice Cemetery website
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!