|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Christchurch Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located before 1868|
|New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1868|
|Lymington Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|New Forest Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|New Forest District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
The Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4 states in its chapter on Brockenhurst, the neighbouring parish,
- "Rhinefield is a township consisting of 7,360 acres 2 miles south-west from Brockenhurst station, constituted by an Order of the Poor Law Board 23 November 1868, and consisting of parts of Rhinefield and Wilverley Walks in the New Forest, which were extra-parochial before the passing of the New Forest Poor Law Act of 1866."
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rhinefield from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Rhinefield, par., Hants, in New Forest, 6 miles NW. of Lymington, 7360 ac., pop. 40."
Rinefield was made a civil parish in 1868. It became part of the Lymington Rural District in 1894 and transferred to the New Forest Rural District in 1932. Since 1974 it has been within the New Forest municipal District.
There is no article in Wikipedia. GoogleEarth illustrates that it is still very thinly inhabited.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Brockenhurst.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Rhinefield, Hampshire, England | Christchurch Hundred, Hampshire, England | New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England | Lymington Rural, Hampshire, England | New Forest Rural, Hampshire, England | New Forest District, Hampshire, England