Place:Remsenburg-Speonk, Suffolk, New York, United States

Watchers


NameRemsenburg-Speonk
TypeCensus-designated place
Coordinates40.82°N 72.701°W
Located inSuffolk, New York, United States


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Remsenburg-Speonk is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Town of Southhampton, Suffolk County, New York. It consists of the hamlets of Remsenburg and Speonk. The population was 2,642 at the 2010 census. The population of this CDP and surrounding ones increases in the summer due to summer renters who come out for the beaches and scenery.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

As early as 1712, meadows in Speonk were leased to cattle owners from Southampton. Most of the early residents came west from Southampton and Bridgehampton in the 1740s, building farms and clearing the forests of wood. In the 1880s, duck farms thrived in Speonk, but few survived past the turn of the century. The name Speonk was inspired by a Native American word meaning "high place". An 1897 Long Island Rail Road catalog listed Speonk, noting that that name "certainly sounds like the call of a frog". Some residents pressed to change the name to "Remsenburg", after prominent resident Charles Remsen donated a new Presbyterian church. Today, both names remain in use, each covering different areas of the community.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Remsenburg-Speonk, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.