|Alt names||Redmarley d'Abitot||source: WeRelate abbreviation|
|Ridmerlege||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 114|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Upton-upon-Severn Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural distict in which it was located until 1931|
|Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Redmarley d'Abitot is now a civil parish and village in the Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire, England. Although now in Gloucestershire, Redmarley was in Worcestershire until 1931. Between 1894 and 1931 it was part of the Upton-upon-Severn Rural District. See the map (expand to show the bottom left-hand corner in detail).
In addition to the village of Redmarley, the civil parish also includes the settlements of Lowbands, Haw Cross, Playley Green, Kings Green and Durbridge (all redirected here). At the 2001 census the parish had a population of 705. The population has much reduced since the mid-19th century.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Redmarley D'Abitot from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "REDMARLEY-D'ABITOT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newent [registration] district; the village and the parish in Worcestershire, but most of the sub-district in Gloucestershire. The village stands 1 mile N of the river Leadon, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, and 5¾ S W by S of Ledbury [railway] station; and has a post-office, of the name of Redmarley, under Gloucester. The parish comprises 3,778 acres. Real property: £6,442. Population in 1851: 1,192; in 1861: 1,265. Houses: 268. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Beauchamp. Hazeldine House and Down House are chief residences. Lowlands estate was purchased by F. O' Connor, for his land scheme. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £900. Patron: J. D. T. Niblett, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1856. There are a national school, and charities £14.
- "The sub-district contains also seven other parishes. Acres: 22,159. Population: 5,731. Houses: 1,238."
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Basic sources for Worcestershire are given since the parish was in Worcestershire until 1931.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Redmarley d'Abitot, Worcestershire, England | Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Upton-upon-Severn Rural, Worcestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire, England