Redcliffe is a residential suburb of the Moreton Bay Region in the north-east of the Redcliffe peninsula, approximately north-north-east of Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, Australia. It serves as the Central Business District for the Redcliffe Peninsula and its surrounding suburbs.
Redcliffe is part of the statistical division of Brisbane.
Since the 1880s, Redcliffe has been a popular seaside resort location due to its proximity to Brisbane.
Before European settlement, the Redcliffe Peninsula was occupied by the indigenous Ningy Ningy people. The native name is Kau-in-Kau-in, which means Blood-Blood (red-like blood).
Redcliffe holds the distinction of being the first European settlement in Queensland, first visited by Matthew Flinders on 17 July 1799. Explorer John Oxley recommended "Red Cliff Point" – named after the red-coloured cliffs visible from Moreton Bay – to the Governor Thomas Brisbane for the new colony, reporting that ships could land at any tide and easily get close to the shore. The party settled in Redcliffe on 13 September 1824, under the command of Lieutenant Henry Miller with 14 soldiers, some with wives and children, and 29 convicts. However, this settlement was abandoned after one year and the colony was moved south to a site on the Brisbane River at North Quay, south, that offered a more reliable water supply. For more information on Redcliffe's history see http://www.redcliffehistoricalsociety.com
Redcliffe became a pastoral district in the 1860s and in the 1880s boomed as a seaside resort town with the paddlesteamer Koopa making regular trips to its jetty from 1911.
The Hornibrook Bridge, completed in 1935 allowed easy access to and from Brisbane by motor car leading the way to rapid suburban development.
In 1958, The Gibb family from Manchester, England emigrated to this area and called it home for a period. Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb went on to form the highly successful music group, The Bee Gees.
The first high-rise apartment building was "Redcliffe Towers" at 89 Marine Parade which were finished in 1974. The following year, "Warwick Tower" at 51 Marine Parade was then constructed allowing for a new building height limit of eight storeys in the area. Currently, Redcliffe has a height restriction of twelve storeys along its Redcliffe Parade CBD area and new development is continually in the pipeline.