Ravenstone is a small rural cluster village with a population of 2149, situated just off the A511 road between Coalville and Ashby-de-la-Zouch, in the North West Leicestershire District of Leicestershire, and within the National Forest.
Snibston, part of the civil parish and a separate ecclesiastical parish, is home to St. Mary's church, one of the smallest churches in Britain, which holds only about 30 people. Snibston was originally within the neighbouring parish of Packington but was transferred to Ravenstone when the county border between Leicestershire and Derbyshire was formally established in 1897. This quotation is provided to show how Ravenstone was on the border between the two counties in the latter part of the 19th century.
A History of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ravenstone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: