- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Raunds is a small market town in rural Northamptonshire, England. It is now a civil parish in the East Northamptonshire District. The town is situated 21 miles (34 km) north-east of the county town of Northampton. The town is on the southern edge of the Nene valley and surrounded by arable farming land. According to the UK census of 2011, it had a population of 8,641.
Raunds played a role in the boot and shoe industry until its decline in the 1950s and '60s.
For the period 1897-1974 Raunds was an urban district. Prior to that it was considered part of the Thrapston Rural Sanitary District, the Thrapston Poor Law Union and the Thrapston Rural District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Raunds from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RAUNDS, a village, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district, in Thrapstone district, Northampton. The village stands 1¾ mile E of the Northampton and Peterborough railway, and 3¾ S of Thrapstone; carries on extensive shoe-making; and has a station on the Midland railway, a post-office under Thrapstone, and a temperance hall. The parish comprises 3,680 acres. Real property: £7,074. Population in 1851: 1,870, in 1861: 2,337. Houses: 511. The increase of population arose from the extension of shoe-manufacture. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster and Sir J. Langham, Bart. There is a petrifying spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £250. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £44. Grimbald, who built Trinity College chapel in Cambridge, was a native."