|Name||Raisthorpe and Burdale|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wharram, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
|Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Raisthorpe and Burdale from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72. (Note the difference in the spelling of Burdale.):
- "RAISTHORPE and BIRDALL, a township in Wharram-Percy parish, [East Riding of] Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Derwent, 5 miles S S E of New Malton. Acres: 2,130. Population in 1851: 187, population in 1861: 87. Houses: 11."
Burdale was a hamlet on the Malton & Driffield Railway, situated just south of the 1,747-yard (1,597 m) Burdale Tunnel. The railway station was in use from 1853 to 1950 and served a local quarry as well as the hamlet.
In 1935, the civil parishes of Raisthorpe and Burdale, Wharram le Street, and Wharram Percy were merged into the single civil parish of Wharram.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Wharram was located in Norton Rural District. Historically, Raisthorpe and Burdale was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Wharram Percy in the Buckrose Wapentake.
It would appear that since the re-organization, the name of the parish has reverted to Wharram-le-Street. (source: Wikipedia)