- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Quedgeley is a suburb of Gloucester, England, situated southwest of the city. It is the only civil parish within the city and has a population of 94,200.
The parish church is St James and is known to have been established before 1137. The octagonal font has panels of gold, coloured tessarae, and blue forest stone. The font is 12th century but was a donation by the then Rev'd Winstone Hayward for the re-opening of the church in 1857. While the present-day structure's tower and south aisle are medieval in origin, the remainder of the church is an 1856 restoration by Henry Woodyer in what is considered Victorian Gothic style.
RAF Quedgeley was a large RAF logistics site, which closed in 1995.
Wheatenhurst (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Quedgeley, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851 provides a map illustrating the locations of the various Gloucester parishes. Enter "Gloucester" in the search box at the top left, then select the parish required from the list below the search box.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Quedgeley, Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (district), Gloucestershire, England | Whitstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Wheatenhurst Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England