|Name||Pulham Saint Mary|
|Alt names||Pulham||source: Times Atlas of the World (1994) p 159|
|Pulham St Mary||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 193; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 592|
|Pulham St. Mary||source: Getty Vocabulary Program|
|Pullaham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 193|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Pulham St Mary is a village in Norfolk, approximately east of Diss and south of Norwich. It covers an area of and had a population of 866 in 365 households as of the 2001 census.
It is a small village and part of "The Pulhams" which also includes Pulham Market. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is believed to date from around 1258.
The name Pulham is thought to mean the farmhouse or enclosure by the pools or streams. The earliest recorded spelling is Polleham. The Romans may have had a settlement in Pulham St Mary as pieces of Roman tile, coin and oyster shells have been found in the area.
The village was well known in medieval times as a centre for hat-making, and the ancient Guild of St James the Lesser established the Guild Chapel, now in the centre of the village as part of Pennoyer's school.
Pulham St Mary railway station was a stop on the Waveney Valley Line which closed in 1953.