|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||West Meon, Hampshire, England||ecclesiastical parish of which it was a chapelry|
|Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Froxfield, Hampshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Privett is a small village and conservation area in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire. It is 5 miles (8.0 km) northwest of Petersfield, just off the A272 road. Its principal feature is Holy Trinity Church, designed by Arthur Blomfield and built at the expense of local landowner, businessman and Member of Parliament William Nicholson (1825-1909). Nicholson was also responsible for building in the village a number of residences for workers on his Basing Park estate.
Holy Trinity Church, Privett is now a redundant Grade II* listed church. (Source: Wikipedia on Froxfield). Privett parish was absorbed into Froxfield parish in 1932 and since 1974 the parish has been named Froxfield and Privett. Privett, itself, was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of West Meon.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Privett.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Privett.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Privett, Hampshire, England | West Meon, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England | Froxfield, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England