Prince Edward District was separated from the Midland District in 1831. It was composed solely of Prince Edward County, then a peninsula jutting out into Lake Ontario from Hastings County, now a man-made island since the construction of the Murray Canal between 1882 and 1889. The district layer of administration was abolished in 1849 and Prince Edward County replaced Prince Edward District.
The Archives of Ontario has produced a series of maps illustrating the growth of the District system across the province. Each map ought to be expanded to its maximum size in order to benefit from the information it contains. Return to the collection using the "back" button on your browser.
Ontario Districts: an Explanation
When Upper Canada was formed in 1788 it was immediately divided into four districts: Hesse, Nassau, Mecklenburg and Lunenburg. In 1792 these names were changed to Western, Home, Midland and Eastern respectively. The expansion in population of the province, and in the area settled, obliged the number of Districts to increase. By 1849 there were twenty individual districts, each with a number of counties under its jurisdiction.