Place:Preston on the Hill, Cheshire, England

NamePreston on the Hill
Alt namesBarkers Hollowsource: hamlet in parish
Cottons Bridgesource: hamlet in parish
Red Browsource: hamlet in parish
Preston-on-the-Hillsource: spelling variant
Preston Brooksource: NIMA, GEOnet Names Server (1996-1998)
Preston-Brooksource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.317°N 2.65°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoRuncorn, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Halton District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Preston on the Hill was a township in Daresbury chapelry and Runcorn ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Barkers Hollow, Cottons Bridge, Preston Brook, Red Brow, and Tunnel Top (part). The population was 333 in 1801, 594 in 1851, and 454 in 1901. (Source: GENUKI)

Preston on the Hill was the name of the civil parish until 1936 when it was changed to Preston Brook.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Preston Brook has been, since 2009, a civil parish in the Borough of Halton, a unitary authority in the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is located to the south-east of Runcorn and is adjacent to the M56 motorway. It contains the villages of Preston Brook and Preston on the Hill.

In the 2001 UK Census, the civil parish of Preston Brook had 312 dwellings and 716 residents. Approximately 3,000 people are employed in the area.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Preston-on-the-Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"PRESTON-ON-THE-HILL, a township in Runcorn parish, Cheshire; at the junction of the Bridgewater and the Trent and Mersey canals, and on the Warrington and Crewe railway, 5½ miles S S W of Warrington. It contains a village of its own name, and the village and [railway] station of Preston-Brook. Acres: 1,122. Real property: £2,300. Population: 596. Houses: 99. The manor belongs to F. H. Barker, Esq. There is a Wesleyan chapel."

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Preston Brook. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.