Place:Preston (near North Shields), Northumberland, England

NamePreston (near North Shields)
Alt namesPreston
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoTynemouth, Northumberland, Englandancient borough in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-1996
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Since 1974 Preston has been a village and suburb about a mile north of North Shields, North Tyneside. It has a population of 8,419, as at the 2011 UK census. Historically a separate entity, it has slowly been absorbed into the town to the south and expanded as to form a continuous urban area north to Monkseaton.

History of Preston and 'Preston Township'

Preston is first mentioned in a charter dated between 1106 and 1116 and is recorded in the St. Alban's Register. At about this time the lands of Preston were granted by King Henry I to the monks of St. Oswin at Tynemouth. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539, the lands were returned to the Crown. In 1649, the Township was enclosed and 265 acres (1.07 km2) of land were divided and granted to various copyhold tenants. In 1832 Preston Township, together with Tynemouth, North Shields and Cullercoates was constituted a Parliamentary Borough. By an order granted on August 6, 1849, the four were incorporated into Tynemouth Borough for municipal purposes.

Preston Township originally lay between the townships of North Shields to the south and Monkseaton to the north, Tynemouth to the east and Chirton to the west within the ancient borough of Tynemouth. In addition, when Shiremoor was enclosed in 1788, approximately 94 acres (380,000 m2) of land were annexed to Preston Township. This annex was originally known as "Northumberland Place" but is nowadays known as "West Allotment".

The main industries in the area were coal mining from the 12th to the 20th centuries, the tanneries of the 13th century, the breweries of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, the damask factory of the 19th century and the carriage works of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Within the township is Preston Village, described by Parson and White in their descriptive book on Durham and Northumberland of 1828 as: "a very pleasant village 1-mile (1.6 km) north of North Shields to which its Township extends. It occupies a fine eminence which commands an extensive and beautiful prospect. Here are several gentlemen's villas, two public gardens, two common breweries, four public houses and a linen manufactory: besides about 100 houses and cottages which have a neat and clean appearance."

Research Tips

  • Smurthwaite, William Harold. "Our Heritage - Preston Township and Preston Village" published 1992
  • Bradley, Kevin. "An Illustrated Guide To Preston Township" available at
  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Preston, Tyne and Wear. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.