|Name||Preston (near Alnwick)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ellingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Belford Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Ellingham, Northumberland, England||civil parish to which it was transferred in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Preston (near Alnwick) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PRESTON, a township in Ellingham parish, Northumberland; 6½ miles N of Alnwick. Acres: 457. Population: 67. Houses: 15. [Preston] House is the seat of the Crasters."
Preston (near Alnwick) was a township in the ancient parish of Ellingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. Preston was abolished in 1955 and the area transferred back to the parish of Ellingham.
Until 1974 there was another Preston in Northumberland. It is now in Tyne and Wear.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.