Preston is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, in an area known as Holderness. It is situated approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Hull city centre it lies just north of the A1033 road on the crossroads between the B1240 and B1362 roads.
The civil parish is formed by the village of Preston and the hamlet of Salt End.
According to the 2011 UK census, Preston parish had a population of 3258, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 3100.
From 1894 to 1935 Preston was a civil parish in Sculcoates Rural District despite its not being contiguous with the remaining parishes of the district. In 1935, when the District was abolished, various areas were transferred to other civil parishes and the remainder became part of Holderness Rural District.
Accounts of the area from the end of the 19th century describe it as fairly rural, linking it more to Holderness to the east than Hull to the west. Vision of Britain provides information from the 1881 census indicating that agriculture was by far the dominant occupation.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.