- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Preston was a local government district coterminate with the town of Preston in Lancashire, northwest England from 1836 to 1974.
Preston was one of only a few industrial towns in Lancashire to have a functioning corporation in 1835, its charter dating to 1685, and was reformed as a municipal borough by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835.
The Local Government Act 1888 created elected county councils throughout England and Wales. However, any municipal borough with a population of 50,000 or more at the census of 1881 was to be independent of the administration of the county council, with the new status of county borough. Preston, with an 1881 population of 96,532 duly became a county borough on 1 April 1889, outside the jurisdiction of Lancashire County Council.
The county borough was abolished by the Local Government Act 1972 and its territory transferred to Lancashire to be combined with Fulwood Urban District and part of Preston Rural District, becoming the new non-metropolitan district of the Borough of Preston.
Preston Registration District, circa 1870
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Preston Registration District from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72. A registration district was responsible for collecting and registering births, marriages and deaths, and also for supervising the census every ten years. The boundaries of an individual registration district were normally the same as those for a local Poor Law Union. [The data has been put into paragraphs for easier reading.]
- "The District.—The sub-district of [Preston] is co-terminate with the borough. The district comprehends also
- the sub-district of Longton, containing the parishes of Hoole and Penwortham;
- the sub-district of Walton-le-Dale, containing the Blackburn townships of Walton-le-Dale, Cuerdale, and Samlesbury;
- the sub-district of Alston, containing the parish of Ribchester, and the townships of Grimsargh-with-Brockholes, Ribbleton, and Alston;
- the sub-district of Broughton, containing the four other Preston townships, the Lancaster township of Fulwood, the St. Michael township of Wood-Plumpton, and the Kirkham townships of Whittingham and Goosnargh-with-Newsham.
- Acres: 68,035. Poor-rates in 1863: £82,101. Population in 1851: 96,545; in 1861: 110,523. Houses: 19,982. Marriages in 1863: 1,005; births: 4,139, of which 382 were illegitimate; deaths: 2,693, of which 1,294 were at ages under 5 years, and 33 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 10,669; births, 39,176; deaths, 28,130.
- The places of worship: in 1851, were 28 of the Church of England, with 20,506 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 2,030 [sittings]; 3 of Baptists, with 976 [sittings]; 1 of Quakers, with 528 [sittings]; 1 of Unitarians, with 145 [sittings]; 4 of Wesleyans, with 3,867 [sittings]; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,034 [sittings]; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 490 [sittings]; 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 800 [sittings]; 1 of the New Church, with 250 [sittings]; 1 undefined, with 200 [sittings]; and 13 of Roman Catholics, with 7,646 [sittings].
- The schools were 50 public day schools, with 7,779 scholars; 96 private day-schools, with 3,191 [scholars]; 78 Sunday schools, with 16,197 [scholars]; and 16 evening schools for adults, with 623 [scholars]. There are three workhouses respectively in Preston, Ribchester, and Wood-Plumpton; and, at the census of 1861, they had 282, 113, and 53 inmates."