The Town of Preston is an interior town of Chenango County. The town is west of the City of Norwich.
The first settler arrived around 1787. The town was formed from the Town of Norwich in 1806, but some of Preston was relinquished to Norwich in 1808. In 1816, part of Preston was used to form the new Town of McDonough. In 1820, another section of Norwich was added to Preston.
In the year 1865, the population of the town was 982.