|Name||Preston next Faversham|
|Alt names||Preston-next-Faversham||source: spelling variation|
|Preston||source: shortened form|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Swale (district), Kent, England||district municipality which has covered the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St Catherine's Church, Preston next Faversham is an Anglican church located in the town of Faversham in Kent, England.
Sir John Betjeman in the Collins Pocket Guide to English Parish Churches has described St Catherine's as, "high and distinguished among the railways and breweries".
The Church in its current form originates from the Norman period, though there was extensive restoration work done in the 1860s.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Preston-next-Faversham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PRESTON-NEXT-FAVERSHAM, a parish in Faversham [registration] district, Kent; on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, at Faversham [railway] station, adjacent on the Sto Faversham. Post-town: Faversham. Acres: 1,547. Real property: £6,327. Population in 1851: 1,135; in 1861: 1,535. Houses: 297. The increase of population arose from employments in connection with [Faversham railway] station. The manor was originally called Coppanstone; was given, in the 9th century, by King Kenulf, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and afterwards took the name of Priest's Town or Preston. Preston House is the seat of G. Hilton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £324. Patron: the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; has a small tower; and contains a fine monument of Roger Boyle, and some brasses. Charities, £17."