VAMC, 500 Highway 89 North
Prescott National Cemetery is located in Prescott, Ariz., adjacent to the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The cemetery, which closed to new interments in 1974, covers a little over 15 acres. Interments were made here primarily because it was a conveniently safe distance from Fort Whipple, Ariz., where attacks from local Native Americans were more likely.
The present site of Prescott National Cemetery is thought to be its third location. The original cemetery was established when Fort Whipple was a camp near Del Rio Springs in 1864, and was moved soon after. The cemetery was relocated again in 1869 to its current location because flash floods washed out numerous burials in the previous site. These floods may account for the majority of the 25 unknown graves in the cemetery.
Prescott National Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
(Source: Prescott National Cemetery website)