The hamlet of Potterhanworth Booths is part of the Potterhanworth civil parish. In the 2001 Census the population of the whole parish was recorded as 648 in 257 households.
Potterhanworth appears in the Domesday survey of 1086 as "Haneworde". It is part of the Wapentake of Langoe. By 1334 it was known as Potter Hanworth because of the presence of a large pottery, and the two words did not merge until the 20th century.
Nearest settlements are Nocton to the south, Branston to the northwest, and Potterhanworth Booths to the northeast. The village is at the junction of the B1202 and the B1178 roads. The Peterborough to Lincoln railway line passes 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the west. On the B1202 to the east is a former POW camp. Potterhanworth Fen is to the south of the B1190 road to Bardney.
GENUKI provides information on Potter Hanworth in the 19th century and before.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.