Potternewton is a suburb and parish of north-east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, situated between Chapeltown and Chapel Allerton, mainly in the LS7 postcode and partly in LS8. It is between Scott Hall Road on the west and Roundhay Road on the east, with Harehills Lane on the north. The main thoroughfare is Chapeltown Road, and it is often taken to be part of a larger area referred to as Chapeltown. On some maps Potternewton included the Chapeltown and Scott Hall areas and partly Harehills.
There is overlap between the areas referred to as Chapeltown and Potternewton so that they can be two names for the same area. Potternewton is an historic village and most maps prioritise the name Potternewton over Chapeltown, but most residents of Leeds refer to the area as Chapeltown. Transport Direct uses both names, defining them as separate areas, but Potternewton is defined as a very small area around the north of Scott Hall Road and most of the area is classified as Chapeltown.
As said above, Potternewton is mainly recognised as a small area, possibly an estate of Meanwood, around the Scott Hall Road/ Potternewton Lane roundabout likely because the local roads begin with "Potternewton" in their name. WYMetro and Transport Direct also identify the area as being in this location. Potternewton Lane is frequently served by bus service 7. Millfield primary school, formerly known as Potternewton primary, is located on Potternewton Mount. Upon being renamed, the school received more pupils due to the nearby Miles Hill school being shut down and demolished. Sugarwell hill mill is also found here.
Potternewton became a part of Leeds in 1835.