Portobello is a beach resort located three miles (5 km) to the east of the city centre of Edinburgh, along the coast of the Firth of Forth, in Scotland. Now a suburb of Edinburgh, it was once an independent burgh and located in the Parish of Duddingston.
Although referred to in history as a place of battle back to the 13th century, it was not a place of significant habitation until the mid 1700s. The clay soil of the area was used for both pottery- and brick- making. A red-brick power station, made of local materials, was built in 1934 at the west end of the beach and operated until 1977.
In 1833 the town was made a burgh, then in 1896 it was incorporated into Edinburgh by Act of Parliament.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Portobello.