Portington is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) north-east of Goole and lies 0.5 miles (0.8 km) east of the A614 road. Cavil is about 1 mile from Portington.
Historically, Portington and Cavil was in the ecclesiastical parish of Eastrington in the wapentake of Howdenshire. From 1894 until 1935, Portington and Cavil formed a civil parish within in Howden Rural District. In 1935 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed by Eastrington.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.