- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Portgate from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PORTGATE, a township in St. John-Lee parish, Northumberland; at the intersection of the Roman wall by Watling-street, 4¼ miles N E of Hexham. Acres: 690. Population: 74. Houses: 12."
Portgate was a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Corbridge.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.