Port Byron is a village in Cayuga County, New York, United States. The population was 1,290 at the 2010 census. The village is believed to be named after Lord Byron. It is in the town of Mentz north of Auburn.
The local school is the Port Byron Central School District. Byron, a small town in southeastern Minnesota, was named after Port Byron, the name being suggested by George W. Van Dusen, a grain dealer who was formerly from Port Byron.
Settlers began arriving around 1797. Originally known as "Bucksville", the name was changed to Port Byron in 1825 as it became a port on the Erie Canal. Later, when the canal route was changed in 1856, the village was a railroad town. The village was incorporated in 1837.