|Alt names||Popeham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 124|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Micheldever Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Bermondspit Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Popham is a hamlet and civil parish south of Basingstoke, Hampshire. The area was occupied from pre-historic times and was established as a permanent habitation during the Roman occupation of Britain. The manor of Popham was established by the monastery of Winchester as an outlying agricultural grain station. A small church and school were later established, but have long since disappeared. In the 20th century the parish and hamlet were dissected by the M3 Motorway and A303 trunk road.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Popham. Includes the lineage of the owners of Popham Manor from the 13th century to the middle of the 15th century.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Popham.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Popham, Hampshire, England | Micheldever Hundred, Hampshire, England | Bermondspit Hundred, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England